Saturday, June 27, 2009

Color Post #1: Red

When I began this blog I named it A Cartography of Colors because color is one of the most important things to me, without it, I am at a loss as to what to do. I originally planned on having a color themed post every week, but that obviously hasn't happened. I am going to start it now, though. What better color to start with than the vivacious shade, red?


At first I didn't think that I would find much red around me, it's late and I just decided to do this, so I wasn't able to go out and take pictures, but then as I looked around, I realized that I really have surrounded myself with some really beautiful and wonderful shades of red. I personally don't like the really bright and primary-looking shades of red that you can find, but instead prefer the rich and deep tones. They really speak to me as having stories behind them, which I know sounds strange, colors having a story behind them. But to me it makes sense.

Above you see, the top of my desk, here at home, stained a really pretty shade of red, my cowboy boots, which I recently re-discovered my love for, and a teacup that was carried accross the country by my great-great-grandmother. Perhaps there really are stories behind colors, after all. Each of these things have stories, why can't it be the color that is telling the story?

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love the bit of yellow in the photo of your desk, its charming.

    ReplyDelete